GEMS Best Practices
GEMS Best Practices were developed to help approvers ensure accuracy and efficiency in the reporting and reconciliation process. Please take some time to review them, and if they’re not currently a part of your monthly reporting process, incorporate them.
Settlement of Accounts
- All employee reimbursements must be submitted through the GEMS system.
- GEMS expenses — including travel expenses such as airfaire, hotel deposits, and conference registrations — should be reconciled within 30 days of the transaction/purchase date.
- Fraudulent/disputed and offsetting credit transactions must be reconciled through GEMS. It is not necessary to wait until the credit is posted to reconcile the fraudulent charge.(See GEMS FAQ)
Avoid Submitting Multiple Expense Reports Each Month
- Combining multiple expenses on one report is the preferred method of reporting, with the exception of Travel (i.e., Travel reports should be limited to one trip per report).
- Create an expense report and continue to add transactions to it throughout the month.
- Expense reports automatically save after you create the report header.
- Concerned about forgetting to submit the report if you wait an entire month? Create a recurring reminder in Outlook that prompts you to submit GEMS reports on the same day each month.
- The line-level business purpose field does not have to match the report header.
- Each line-level business purpose can be modified to describe why the expense is necessary to the University.
- While combining expenses on one report is preferred, try to limit the number of transactions on a report to 20, as very large reports are difficult for approvers to review.
- All scanned receipts should be:
- Facing the same direction
- Receipts are required for all lodging, business meals, and any purchase of $75 or more.
- If an individual loses a receipt, he/she must provide a note acknowledging the receipt was lost.
- Include a description of the item that was purchased, business purpose, date of occurrence, and amount of expense.
- Confirm they will not be reimbursed from another source.