What is the GEMS Program?
The GEMS program is the University’s expense management solution that streamlines the method in which employees are reimbursed for their business expenses. It is comprised of a web-based application (GEMS system) that works in conjunction with the University’s corporate credit card, the GEMS card. The card provides authorized faculty and staff with a convenient method of procuring and paying for small dollar purchases and travel expenditures and the system allows for the electronic reconciliation of these charges. Users may also utilize the GEMS system to claim out-of-pocket reimbursement for business-related expenses.
The GEMS Chip Card is Coming, February 2016!
NEW CARD. Embedded Chip. Extra Security.
|The new GEMS chip card will contain a small, embedded microchip, which will help improve the security and acceptance of the card in the U.S. and around the world. This new card will allow you to make purchases at merchants with chip-enabled terminals, as well as merchants with traditional terminals.
|What Cardholders Should Know|
Once you receive your new GEMS chip card
GEMS Best Practices
GEMS Best Practices were developed to help approvers ensure accuracy and efficiency in the reporting and reconciliation process. Please take some time to review them, and if they’re not currently a part of your monthly reporting process, incorporate them.
Settlement of Accounts
- All employee reimbursements must be submitted through the GEMS system.
- GEMS expenses — including travel expenses such as airfaire, hotel deposits, and conference registrations — should be reconciled within 30 days of the transaction/purchase date.
- Fraudulent/disputed and offsetting credit transactions must be reconciled through GEMS. It is not necessary to wait until the credit is posted to reconcile the fraudulent charge.(See GEMS FAQ)
Avoid Submitting Multiple Expense Reports Each Month
- Combining multiple expenses on one report is the preferred method of reporting, with the exception of Travel (i.e., Travel reports should be limited to one trip per report).
- Create an expense report and continue to add transactions to it throughout the month.
- Expense reports automatically save after you create the report header.
- Concerned about forgetting to submit the report if you wait an entire month? Create a recurring reminder in Outlook that prompts you to submit GEMS reports on the same day each month.
- The line-level business purpose field does not have to match the report header.
- Each line-level business purpose can be modified to describe why the expense is necessary to the University.
- While combining expenses on one report is preferred, try to limit the number of transactions on a report to 20, as very large reports are difficult for approvers to review.
- All scanned receipts should be:
- Facing the same direction
- Receipts are required for all lodging, business meals, and any purchase of $75 or more.
- If an individual loses a receipt, he/she must provide a note acknowledging the receipt was lost.
- Include a description of the item that was purchased, business purpose, date of occurrence, and amount of expense.
- Confirm they will not be reimbursed from another source.
New GEMS User Interface
GEMS Expenses in Business Objects
- Comprehensive GEMS reporting has arrived. Procurement Services and Business Information Services are pleased to announce that 14 reporting packages with 62 different reports on GEMS data are now available through Business Objects.(Learn More)